Suivez-moi?

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, January 13, 2014

Going Modern

Mondays seem so much better if there is a little bit of sunshine & the mailman brings NEW FABRIC!!!

Check out this BEAUTIFUL bundle of solids from Kaffe Fassett.


The texture is so rich and deep.  LOVE this fabric.  This is the dark fat quarter set - 34 different colors!  There is also a light set.  What a great line.

Anyway, I will be taking this bundle to Fabric Depot to pick out a coordinating white (gotta hunt for something with a weight and texture to match the shot cloth).  Then the fabric is destined for this quilt: Solid - Wedge - Star

Full disclosure here - I'm not going to use the technique in the video.  I adore Jenny from Missouri Star, but her assembly on this one really misses the boat.  Oh - we'll match up through the HST's, but then she uses a layer cake and wedge template to make the white parts.  So cutting around the template, ironing in 1/2, line up, sew, trim.  And you get 2 little angle bits from a 10x10" square?  That's too complex & pretty high waste ratio to me.

I'll try to remember to take pictures as I go but, basically, I'll be using 4" strips of white.  I'll iron the HST triangle to get my sewing line, use the diagonal of my HST to line up the strip.  After trimming the 1/4" seam allowance (with my add-a-quarter ruler and a piece of cardboard), the rest of the white strip gets flipped around onto the next square.  (Seriously - watch that video about 3:30 in.)

I know.  Show you the pictures.  OK.  Drawings and pictures in a future post - I promise.

Another fun thing?  I put this into EQ7 - to figure out overall dimensions and yardage for the borders.  As I flipped the sub blocks around to make the stars, there were several other cool patterns you can make from the same technique.  In particular, a cool check mark effect that would be neat as a monochromatic.

I'm glad I've committed to finishing the quilt for KT by the end of January.  Otherwise I'm pretty sure this fabric would be on the cutting block tonight!!

- sash

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful bundle, I can't wait to see the wedge star quilt !

    ReplyDelete